Friday, March 14, 2014

Trekking Home

One of my parents dropped my off to get a facial done. It was relatively soothing in that someone else wiped soap and water onto my face. The less fun part was comedone extraction. I have yet to cry or scream during a session, and I wear this fact with pride.

 Afterward, I found out it'd be another hour before anyone could pick me up. I could have easily whiled away an hour sitting inside Starbucks staring at my phone, but I decided to walk home, all 5 and a half miles, in converse and jeans. And a shirt. I did wear a shirt.

It took me over an hour and a half and my feet hurt pretty badly for the last half mile, but it gave me some new perspective. Which sounds really dumb--I do ambulate on occasion, but in Texas it's really rare to walk for transportation rather than exercise. Seeing all the cars zoom past me, I thought about how we all drive cars, yet the city still installs sidewalks. I suppose their main reasoning is that people may want to be healthy and take walks. I did see some of that, but the larger point I saw is that cars may be a lot more convenient, but if the apocalypse ever happened and/or there was no more gas, well. Everyone and the zombies would be on the sidewalk.

 I refrained from taking photos because most of my journey was on roads within or between neighborhoods, and I have no interest in including that in my online lark. But I did see a quaint-looking one story house with a quarter of its roof covered in solar panels. Surprises will always surprise.

 My glamour shots of the art museum will be posted, but I did something a little unusual and spontaneous today and thought I'd share.

No comments: