Friday, August 8, 2014

General Malaise

In which I blather quite a lot

I'm in one of those moods where I feel like doing nothing. Literally nothing. I have SO MUCH to do, and I think that may be part of what's paralyzing me. It's important stuff that matters to me and I really don't want to mess it up. The problem, of course, is that not doing anything is way, way worse than trying. Buuuut I can't convince myself of that at the moment.

Instead, I have partaken in some excellent Passive Entertainment by watching The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I know, the internet hype over it is over, since it was all uploaded 1-2 years ago. I did try to watch it in "real time," but honestly it's a lot easier to understand and follow when I can watch them one after the other after the other after.... Yeah so that's my time gone. The Mrs. Bennet impressions are hilarious. Also the one where Jane is Darcy. And as is my tendency, I had to look up what else the actors have done. Ashley Clements was on Felicia Day's channel. And a random style channel. Daniel Vincent Gordh himself uploaded a pretty great video. I think it's called an audition reel? Or something?

And then I got sucked into the other Austen YT adaptation that is Emma Approved. I don't like it as much as LBD, partially because Emma is not likable. And sure, characters don't have to be likable. But people also don't have to watch.

And NOW I am watching Squaresville, which Mary Kate Wiles is in. I tried School of Thrones a year ago, but I refuse to watch/read Game of Thrones until it's all done (which may be never), so it didn't make much sense to me.

The problem I have is that whenever I get wrapped up in fictional worlds, I really want them to be real and continue. This wasn't so bad when I was a kid and read loads of books, but now I can only muster the energy to read one once in a while, so when the pseudo-nostalgia and longing hit me, they hit hard. Like what if Lizzie and Darcy were real people and that was really their story and they really have a disgustingly sweet life together now? AND WHY WON'T THEY PUT UP MORE VIDEOS.

Really, I think this was all a bit of escapism. From my "boring" daily life. In reality, if I spent my time doing things instead of watching things (like all good characters seem to), then I would have my own story. Or at least a montage for the YT adaptation of it.

PS I would apologize for not posting in forever, but that does no one any good. I tried my hand at making an idyllic little blog where I use a DSLR and talk about outings and things that can be packaged nicely for the pics, but instead here are my feelings hope you enjoy this nonsense~

PPS This probably won't happen, but on the off chance that any of the LBD actors find this: I loved your work, let us (the internet fans) know when you're in something new. I might desperately need the distraction again down the road~


No comments: